Whatsapp Group –
Daily Current Affairs for Competitive Exams 9th April 2019 | First of all, thanks for landing this post, if you are searching for the Daily Current Affairs 2019 then we must say you are in the right place.
Daily Current Affairs for Competitive Exams 10th April 2019
Plea on the erosion of Yamuna floodplain: NGT forms a body to look into the matter
- Following a plea alleging erosion of the Yamuna floodplain in Sonipat due to movement of heavy vehicles in the area, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has constituted a committee to look into the allegations and submit a report on the same.
- The committee will comprise Principal Secretary of the Haryana Irrigation and Water Resources Department, Member Secretary of the Haryana State Pollution Control Board and Director of the Mines and Geology Department.
London becomes the first city to implement 24×7 pollution charge zone
- London became the first city in the world to implement a special Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) that would charge an entry fee for older vehicles if they do not meet the emission standards
- In an attempt to reduce air pollution and protect public health, the ULEZ will be operational for 24 hours and seven days a week.
- Motorists who drive into the zone in a vehicle that does not meet the new emission standard (petrol-run vehicles that do not meet Euro 4 standards and diesel-run vehicles that do not meet Euro 6) will have to pay a daily charge.
Algerian lawmakers choose new President
- Lawmakers named Abdelkader Bensalah, the Speaker of the upper house, as Algeria’s first new President in two decades, after the resignation of Abdelaziz Bouteflika following mass protests.
Sri Lanka opens China-financed railway line
- Sri Lanka has opened a new railway line, built with China’s assistance, connecting its coastal city of Matara and Beliatta in Hambantota, a move that will boost passenger traffic into the island nation’s Deep South.
- The 26.75-km long Matara-Beliatta railway extension is the first to be constructed in Sri Lanka since 1948, and it passes through the country’s longest and second-longest railway bridges.
US, Iran designate each other’s organisations as supporters of terrorism
- The United States has designated Iran’s Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) as a foreign terrorist organization.
- The designation will potentially open hundreds of foreign companies and business executives to US travel bans and possible prosecution.
Business & Economy:
SUN Group chairman Vikramjit Sahney elected as president of ICC India
- SUN Group Chairman Vikramjit Singh Sahney elected as the new president of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) – India.
BSE, HDFC Bank tie up to strengthen startup platform
- The BSE has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with HDFC Bank with an objective to strengthen the BSE Startups platform.
- The MoU has been signed to spread more awareness on the benefits of the listing of startups on this BSE startup platform.
- The exchange had launched the startup platform on December 22, with an aim to encourage entrepreneurs to get listed and raise equity capital for their growth and expansion.
MENA World Economic Forum kicks off in Jordan
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) on the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) 2019 kicked off in Jordan with over 1,000 participants from more than 50 countries.
- The 17th WEF meeting in the region called for united efforts to address the most pressing challenges of the area.
India becomes YouTube’s largest and fastest growing market
- In the last one year, the video-sharing website’s consumption on mobile phones has increased to 85%
- With substantial growth in India’s internet coverage and data growth, the country has become YouTube’s largest and fastest growing market with 265 million Indians watching the video-sharing website every month.
IMF forecasts dip in global growth in 2019
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has projected that global growth will be 3.3% in 2019, down from 3.6% in 2018 and 4% in 2017.
Science & Technology:
India’s first ‘Cold Spray’ SMART lab launched
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-M) announced its collaboration with American conglomerate General Electric (GE) to set up a lab that will develop advanced services technology for aircraft engine components.
- Mumbai-based gaming startup Dream 11 has joined India’s mushrooming unicorn club following an investment from Steadview Capital through the second route in the range of $60 million.
- The sports platform has become the first gaming company in the country to make it to the elite club of privately-held startups valued at $1 billion or more.
India’s population grew twice as fast as China’s: UN report
- India’s population grew at 1.2% a year between 2010 and 2019, marginally higher than the global average of 1.1% a year in this period, but more than double China’s 0.5% a year, according to the United Nations Population Fund’s (UNFPA) State of the World Population 2018.
World Homoeopathy Day
- World Homeopathy Day is being observed on 10th April to commemorate the birth anniversary of the founder of Homeopathy, Dr Christian Fredrich Samuel Hahnemann.
- On the occasion, the Central Council for Research in Homeopathy, CCRH, is organizing a two-day convention in New Delhi. The council will take stock of the challenges faced and formulate future strategies for the development of Homeopathy in the country. The theme of the convention is linking research with education and clinical practice.