Whatsapp Group –
Daily Current Affairs for Competitive Exams 16th April 2019
Cabinet approves cooperation agreement between India & Denmark in the field of renewable energy
· Cabinet has approved cooperation agreement between India and Denmark in the field of renewable energy with a focus on offshore wind energy.
· The areas of cooperation include technical capacity building for management of offshore wind projects and measures to develop and sustain a highly efficient wind industry.
Essel World Launches India’s First Foreign Interactive Bird Park in Mumbai
· India’s first foreign interactive and exotic world park was inaugurated in Mumbai. Bird lovers are up for a treat with this interactive bird park in Mumbai.
· The park is spread across 1.4 acres and is home to over 500 exotic birds from more than 60 species.
· The park is equipped with small ponds for aquatic birds, dense cover of trees for birds to incubate their eggs and a water stream that offers drinking water to birds.
· It also houses a special birds kitchen and healthcare centre.
SDMC hosts Asia Pacific forum on sustainable urbanisation
· South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) kicked off the fourth Asia Pacific Forum on Urban Resilience and Adaptation-Resilient Cities 2019 in New Delhi hosted in association with the United Nations.
· The three-day event is being hosted in India for the first time with 31 participating countries.
Cabinet approves the creation of one post of Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General in the office of Comptroller and Auditor General of India
· The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval to create one post of Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General (Coordination, Communication and Information System) in Pay Level-17 (by abolishing one STS level post) in the Office of the Comptroller & Auditor General of India.
In a first, US appoints Indian to geospatial advisory committee
· India’s growing might in earth observation, remote sensing, mapping, and location technologies has got a shot in the arm, with the US department of interior appointing an Indian to its prestigious National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC).
· Delhi-based Sanjay Kumar, CEO of Geospatial Media and Communications and Secretary General of World Geospatial Industry Council, is the first Indian to be inducted to NGAC.
China develops world’s first armed amphibious drone boat
· China has successfully tested the world’s first armed amphibious drone boat which the Chinese military analysts claimed could be used in land assault operations and is capable of forming a combat triad with aerial drones and other drone ships.
· Having a maximum operation range of 1,200 kms, the Marine Lizard can be remotely controlled via satellites.
· In ship form, the 12-meter-long Marine Lizard is a trimaran propelled by a diesel-powered hydrojet and can reach a maximum speed of 50 knots while maintaining stealth,
Science & Technology:
WHO raises alarm over 300% increase in case of measles globally
· World Health Organization (WHO) has raised alarm over a 300 percent increase in the case of measles globally in the first quarter of 2019 compared with last year.
· The UN body said provisional data has indicated a clear trend, with all regions of the world seeing outbreaks.
‘First’ 3D printed heart has human cells, vessels
· Scientists in Israel unveiled a 3D print of a heart with human tissue and vessels calling it a first and a “major medical breakthrough” that advances possibilities for transplants.
· The heart marked “the first time anyone has successfully engineered and printed an entire heart replete with cells, blood vessels, ventricles and chambers,”.
Sub-sonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ successfully test-fired
· Defence Research and Development Organisation, DRDO, successfully test fired indigenously designed and developed Long Range Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile – Nirbhay from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur Odisha.
· The entire flight was fully tracked by a chain of Electro-Optical Tracking Systems, Radars and Ground Telemetry Systems deployed all along the seacoast and all the mission objectives were met.
Kento Momota clinches Singapore Open title
· Japan’s Kento Momota withstood a barrage of smashes from Indonesia’s Anthony Sinisuka Ginting to rally for a thrilling victory in the Singapore Open final.
Garin tops Ruud to give Chile first ATP Tour title in 10 years
· Christian Garin became the first Chilean to win an ATP Tour title in 10 years when he beat Norway’s Casper Ruud at the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship in Houston.
Pulitzer Prize 2019: Aretha Franklin honoured posthumously, ‘Frederick Douglass’ named the best work of history
· David W. Blight’s 900-page ‘Frederick Douglass’ was named the best work of history, while the biography prize went to Jeffrey C. Stewart’s ‘The New Negro: The Life of Alain Locke.’
· Richard Powers’ innovative novel ‘The Overstory,’ which shows us the world through the perspective of nature, won for fiction.
3 Indian teams win NASA awards
· NASA has awarded three teams from India as part its annual Human Exploration Rover Challenge, which invites high school and college students to build and test roving vehicles for future missions to the Moon, Mars and beyond.
· The team from KIET Group of Institutions in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, won the “AIAA Neil Armstrong Best Design Award”.
· The Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering from Mumbai, Maharashtra, won the “Frank Joe Sexton Memorial Pit Crew Award”.
· A team from Lovely Professional University in Phagwara, Punjab, won the “STEM Engagement Award”.