Whatsapp Group –
Daily Current Affairs for Competitive Exams 7th April 2019 | First of all, thanks for landing this post, if you are searching for the Daily Current Affairs 2019 then we must say you are in the right place.
Daily Current Affairs for Competitive Exams 7th April 2019
TBN Radhakrishnan Sworn in as New Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court
- Justice T B N Radhakrishnan was sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
- West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi administered the oath of office to Justice Radhakrishnan in a solemn ceremony at the high court.
Theresa May seeks further Brexit extension from EU until June 30
- The U.K. and European Council president Donald Tusk appeared to be nearing a consensus on a further Brexit extension. Prime Minister Theresa May has written to Mr Tusk, asking for an extension till at least June 30 this year.
- It comes as Mr Tusk himself was reported to be proposing a “flex tension” — an extension that could last up till April next year, but could also last a much shorter period were the U.K. to break the EU deadlock before that.
Thailand collects sacred waters for the king’s coronation rituals
- Thailand began rituals for the coronation of King Maha Vajiralongkorn next month, with officials collecting water in ceremonies across the country for use in purification rites.
- The elaborate coronation for King Vajiralongkorn will take place over three days, from May 4 to 6, in the capital Bangkok with many Buddhist and Brahmin rituals performed in the month leading up to the event.
- The 66-year-old King Vajiralongkorn became Thailand’s constitutional monarch following the death of his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, in 2016 following a 70-year reign.
Business & Economy:
NIIF, ROADIS to create a platform to invest $2 billion in road projects
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) and PSP Investment owned ROADIS will together create a platform to invest $2 billion in road projects.
- “The platform will invest up to $ 2 billion of equity to target Toll Operate Transfer (TOT) models, acquisitions of existing road concessions and investment opportunities in the road sector with the aim of creating a large roads platform in the country”.
RBI tweaks LCR norms to boost liquidity
- In a bid to further improve the cash position of banks, the RBI provided an additional 2 per cent liquidity window to the lenders by tweaking liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) norms.
- The LCR indicates the proportion of highly liquid assets held by banks to ensure their ability to meet short-term obligations.
Science & Technology:
First-ever global coalition for clean cooling launched
- The first-ever global coalition on clean and efficient cooling was launched at the First Global Conference on Synergies between the 2030 Agenda and Paris Agreement which concluded in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- As the world gets warmer, the demand for air conditioners is projected to grow and the greenhouse gas it emits will endanger the planet.
- Clean, efficient cooling appliances and equipment can save up to $2.9 trillion in energy use by 2050, and help avoid 0.4° Celsius warming of the planet, said the United Nations-backed ‘Cool Coalition’ comprising 23 members.
Soon, the first photo of a black hole
- Scientists are expected to unveil the first-ever photograph of a black hole, a breakthrough in astrophysics, providing insight into celestial monsters with gravitational fields so intense no matter or light can escape.
- The U.S. National Science Foundation has scheduled a news conference in Washington to announce a “groundbreaking result from the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) project,” an international partnership formed in 2012 to try to directly observe the immediate environment of a black hole.
Sheikh Salman becomes president of Asian Football Confederation for the third time
- Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa was re-elected unopposed to the position as president of the Asian Football Confederation after the regional body’s congress confirmed a new four-year term for the Bahraini by acclamation.
Sportsperson of the Year (Female) at the ESPN India Awards for 2018
- Into the fourth month of the 2019 season, it appears PV Sindhu, winner of Sportsperson of the Year (Female) at the ESPN India Awards for 2018 is struggling for momentum — with only a single semifinal to show for her efforts so far.
AIFF president Praful Patel elected as FIFA Council member
- Praful Patel said his unprecedented election to the FIFA Council means more tournaments, international friendlies and exposure for India, besides a chance to operate in close proximity with the developed football nations.
- AIFF President Praful won with a record-breaking margin, securing 38 out of the 46 votes at the 29th Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Congress in Kuala Lumpur.
International Day of Sport for Development and Peace 6 April
- The General Assembly of the United Nations decided to proclaim on 6 April as International Day of Sport for Development and Peace.