Whatsapp Group –
Daily Current Affairs for Competitive Exams 8th April 2019 | First of all, thanks for landing this post, if you are searching for the Daily Current Affairs 2019 then we must say you are in the right place.
Daily Current Affairs for Competitive Exams 8th April 2019
Chennai Central railway station renamed after AIADMK founder MGR
- The Tamil Nadu government released an official notification that Chennai Central Railway Station has been officially named after former state chief minister and ruling All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam(AIADMK) founder MG Ramachandran.
- With the new gazette notification, the Chennai Central railway station will be hereafter called as Dr MG Ramachandran Chennai Central railway station.
Justice Pradeep Nandrajog takes oath as new Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Justice Pradeep Nandrajog took oath as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
- He was administered the oath by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao at the Raj Bhavan.
Biannual Army Commanders’ Conference to begin in New Delhi
- The biannual Army Commanders’ Conference will begin in New Delhi.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will deliver her opening address at the conference.
- During the conference, important issues that are likely to be discussed are the management of the extant security dynamics, mitigation of future security threats and enhancement of combat edge over potential adversaries.
‘African Lion 2019’ exercise concluded
- The Morocco-US sponsored exercise “African Lion 2019” took place from March 16 to April 7, 2019, in the region of Agadir, Tifnit, Tan-Tan, Tata and Ben Guerir, with the participation of thousands of military personnel.
President Ibrahim Solih’s MDP heads for a landslide in the Maldives
- Reinforcing the trust they reposed in President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih in September 2018, Maldivians gave his party a significant majority in the legislature in polls.
- Provisional results pointed to the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) heading for a big win in the parliamentary election, securing some 60 of the 87 seats in the People’s Majlis or Parliament.
Business & Economy:
Amazon India launches seller-funding programme for small businesses
- Amazon India announced the launch of its seller-funding programme–Amazon Wings–in partnership with Ketto, a crowd-funding platform.
- Through this India first initiative, Amazon looks at enabling the small businesses and entrepreneurs who are sellers on its platform, raise funds for their business expansion, product development and innovation or community development.
$1.7 trillion needed per year to build disaster-resilient infrastructure in Asia:
- Developing economies across Asia are among the most vulnerable to natural disasters and have suffered damages estimated at 644 billion dollars since 2000, according to the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Of these, weather-related hazards caused the greatest share at 507 billion dollars (or 79 per cent) while geophysical hazards accounted for the remaining 137 billion dollars (or 21 per cent), as per a recent ADB report titled ‘Asian Development Outlook 2019: Strengthening Disaster Resilience.’
Science & Technology:
Swiss protest over global warming
- Tens of thousands of people demonstrated in several Swiss cities against climate change.
- Around 50,000 marched in all, including 15,000 in Zurich and up to nine thousand in the capital Berne and in Lausanne.
- The marches were organised by an alliance of activist groups in Switzerland, including Greenpeace, Swiss Youth for Climate and green groups.
Lin Dan clinches Malaysia Open
- Chinese badminton ace Lin Dan clinched the Malaysia Open in Kuala Lumpur.
- After an electric performance, he beat countryman Chen Long 9-21, 21-7, 21-11.
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, wife reach biggest divorce deal in history
- Jeff Bezos’s wife MacKenzie said she would give all of her stake in The Washington Post and the space exploration firm Blue Origin to her husband — the world’s richest man — as well as voting control of her remaining Amazon stock.
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, finalized the biggest divorce settlement in history leaving him with 75 per cent of their stock in the tech giant and giving her nearly $36 billion in shares.
World Health Day
- The World Health Day is a global health awareness day celebrated every year on 7 April, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization, as well as other related organizations.
National Handloom Week (April 7-14)
- The sector celebrated with craft and textile exhibitions, and fashion shows held across the country. Cut to mid-April 2019, and there’s barely any activity ahead of National Handloom Week (April 7-14).
Tata Steel gets an award at Global Slag Conference & Exhibition
- Tata Steel has been named as the ‘Global Slag Company of the Year’ at the 14th Global Slag Conference and Exhibition 2019.
- The award was presented to Tata Steel for its innovative practices in the development of new applications for Steel by-products (Slag).